Skip to main content

Tis the Season to Open Your Wallet

The Encyclopedist of Hockey, Joe Pelletier, has issued a challenge to us hockey bloggers, one that's particularly appropriate during this holiday season.  From Joe's email:
 
"I wrote about eye injuries in hockey, and tied it in with the
degenerative disease glaucoma, which unfortunately I'm becoming an
expert on. I also introduced my readers to my charity of choice: the
Canadian National Institute for the Blind.

I also posted a public challenge to other hockey bloggers to adopt a
charity of their choosing. It can be hockey related, or it can be
something bigger. It can be simply a logo on a side column, or a full
feature piece. Whatever you choose do, or whether you choose to do
anything at all, I hope you fully realize how important your hockey
blog is to many people, and that you can use your platform for even
more important things."
 
Joe's charity of choice is the Canadian National Institute for the Blind, but today I want to introduce you to a charity I added to the left sidebar here a few weeks ago; Kiva.org.  Kiva is a charitable organization that helps facilitate one of the most promising international anti-poverty measures we've ever seen; Microfinance.  The idea here isn't that you don't just give money away to someone in need, but instead provide a loan (as little as $25) to a person in a developing nation that is trying to establish a steady income.  These people tend not to have access to traditional banking services, and as a group, have proven over time to be responsible debtors; microfinance provides them the opportunity to get on their feet.  Instances include a Cambodian fisherman who used his loan to purchase a fishing net and repair his boat, a Peruvian family seeking funds to purchase a clay mixer for the piggybanks they make, or a mother of six in Mozambique who has used previous loans to start a personal sewing business, and now is seeking to expand and open up a shop.  And to think, Mrs. Forechecker won't even darn my socks.

After all, what's the old saying?  "Make a man a fire and you keep him warm for a day; set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."*
 
No, that's not quite it.  But you get the point.  Head on over to Kiva.org, check out some of the stories, and make an investment in the developing world.
 
*stolen from someone's sig on Slashdot, I can't recall whom

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating a milestone month

I've been remiss in providing regular updates on my quest to turn this whole sports-blogging hobby into at least something of a significant side income, if not a career, but good news has a way of prompting action. That, and I've been heads-down busy working on a few different fronts to push things forward...

Social Media, Internet Marketing, and Real, Paying Customers - it really works!

Applying the basic tenets of internet marketing (SEO best practices and social media network building) have helped me grow the readership and engagement over at On The Forecheck tremendously in recent years, but lately I've been wondering if those same techniques could be applied to small- or medium-sized local businesses, to help them drive real, tangible business results. I'm talking about not just drawing idle hockey fans looking to a blog so they can muse over line combinations, but helping businesses connect with potential customers in ways that otherwise wouldn't occur. Recently, I was able to help make just such a thing happen, and it shows just how great the opportunities are for small, local businesses which may not have the resources or skills available to extend their brand effectively on the internet.

NHL Fake Trades, an idea worth pursuing further in 2013

As I wrote about a month ago , I decided to jump upon a short-term opportunity and set up a "hot topic" website for the 2012 NHL Trade Deadline. NHLFakeTrades.com was inspired by a column by Eric Duhatschek of the Globe & Mail, who looked at the frenzy with which hockey fans jump on even the sketchiest of information about potential hockey trades, and wondered if some cash could be made by simply and forthrightly writing about fictitious trade scenarios. This meshed nicely with an exercise I went through a few years ago to create a Random Trade Generator, so in the course of a few hours I went ahead and registered the domain, set up a WordPress site using ( as I do at Hockey Gear HQ ) the wonderful Genesis framework with the News theme , and freshened up the Trade Generator for 2012. So how did it do, in terms of traffic, revenue, and accuracy of the trade projections? Let's take a look...