Skip to main content

A Quintet of Thoughts on This Monday

Here's your smorgasbord of Monday updates, rather than a single, thought-out post:

1) The Penalties Drawn numbers have been updated at the Google spreadsheet. Sidney Crosby still holds the lead with 14 draws, with Scott Gomez, Anze Kopitar, and Dion Phaneuf tied for second with 12. Interestingly, Phaneuf is the only defenseman in the Top 35 in this category. For now,
I've removed the Games Played and Time on Ice columns until I can provide those in a more automated way (for the first week I copy & pasted from NHL.com stats, yuk).

2) Kudos to Jessica Hopp over at the Tennessean, who followed the team on its recent Western Canada swing and has provided some fine articles of late. Over the last few months the Tennessean at least has improved its coverage of the team.

3) And how about this road trip? After the opening loss at Calgary, the Nashville Predators have nabbed convincing wins in Vancouver, Edmonton, and Chicago, thus guaranteeing an above-.500 road trip that concludes Wednesday night in Detroit. The Red Wings are the Western Conference's juggernaut at the moment, and without a doubt this will be the toughest game the Preds have had to face yet. It's good to see the whole team working hard on the defensive end (the penalty killers, in particular, have been outstanding), and Alex Radulov looks about ready to burst things wide open. His shift late in the 2nd period against Chicago was a thing of beauty.

4) I'd like to get advice from any and all out there regarding HDTV's. Due to point #5, I'm looking to make a purchase around the end of the month, and am leaning towards this 50" Plasma from Panasonic. My big question is, 720 or 1080 resolution? I have DirecTV and watch the occasional DVD, and from what I've heard all the DirecTV content is streamed at 720p. If that's true, does 1080 buy me anything other than marginal improvement for HD-DVD content? It seems like getting a bigger, higher-quality 720p model would give a bigger bang for the buck.

5) The heavy-duty number crunching will be slow around these parts for the duration of the month, as we're building a house and will be moving in at the end of November, so my spare time until then will be spent packing boxes and making arrangements. I'll still provide commentary, game summaries, and the occasional stat-driven piece (once all teams get comfortably into the 15-20 games played range, I'll run a PythagenPuck analysis). Please bear with me until December, then.

Popular posts from this blog

Cheer up, it's the holidays...

Why is it that various media outlets continue trying to put their own spin on the "what's wrong with the NHL" story? Our latest example comes from The Hockey News , in a piece by Jay Greenburg entitled, "Excitement Level On The Decline." Take the opening sentence: Attendance is down and yet still up from before the lockout, leaving it arguable whether buildings in New Jersey and Florida are half-full or half empty. It's no surprise that attendance is down from last season, particularly if you compare the first half of 2005-06 to the first half of this year. Coming out of the lockout, there were legions of fans starved to see the on-ice product, particularly in light of the massive rule changes. This year is more indicative of business as usual, so the fact that the league is above pre-lockout levels is a positive. Toss in the projection that overall revenues are increasing despite a 1% decrease in attendance, and I'd say that paying fans have come back

How I'm Trying To Make Money Sports Blogging

To kick off this series of articles general sports-blogging articles here at OTF Classic, I think it's best to start with a comment that Brad left here last week, after I shared my goals for 2012 , which include specific revenue targets: I considered diving into the world of internet marketing myself, but I felt that my friends would hate me for bugging them about stuff. I mean, it's pretty low-risk high-reward, so it's tempting. I wouldn't mind reading about tips on how to maximize impact of blogging in general to make it a legitimate income source. Trying to make money at sports blogging can be a very touchy subject - for the vast majority of us, this is an activity we pursue to both exercise our creativity and share our love of the game, whether it's hockey, football, badminton, whatever, with fellow fans. Mixing that personal conversation with a commercial message can turn people off, especially if it becomes too intrusive for the reader. It's not unrea

Celebrating a milestone month

I've been remiss in providing regular updates on my quest to turn this whole sports-blogging hobby into at least something of a significant side income, if not a career, but good news has a way of prompting action. That, and I've been heads-down busy working on a few different fronts to push things forward...