Skip to main content

Bienvenue, Montreal

As part of their season preview package today, the Montreal Gazette features a piece by Don MacDonald called "Moneypuck", which discusses the growing field of statistical analysis related to NHL hockey.  I've got a small blurb on the second page of the article.
 
Also, kudos go out to the Tennessean for a fine section previewing the upcoming Predators season.  For all the bashing I (and others) tend to get into over our local paper, it's appropriate to tip the hat when they get something right.
 
Lastly, I wanted to point Preds fans (or anyone else interested) over to Off Wing Opinion, where Eric McErlain has excerpts from Keith Jones' new book Jonesy.  There are a couple anecdotes from when Jones played for Barry Trotz in the AHL that are well worth a read, with the most interesting being the time when Jones was on the ice for seven goals against in a single game...

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating a milestone month

I've been remiss in providing regular updates on my quest to turn this whole sports-blogging hobby into at least something of a significant side income, if not a career, but good news has a way of prompting action. That, and I've been heads-down busy working on a few different fronts to push things forward...

Social Media, Internet Marketing, and Real, Paying Customers - it really works!

Applying the basic tenets of internet marketing (SEO best practices and social media network building) have helped me grow the readership and engagement over at On The Forecheck tremendously in recent years, but lately I've been wondering if those same techniques could be applied to small- or medium-sized local businesses, to help them drive real, tangible business results. I'm talking about not just drawing idle hockey fans looking to a blog so they can muse over line combinations, but helping businesses connect with potential customers in ways that otherwise wouldn't occur. Recently, I was able to help make just such a thing happen, and it shows just how great the opportunities are for small, local businesses which may not have the resources or skills available to extend their brand effectively on the internet.

NHL Fake Trades, an idea worth pursuing further in 2013

As I wrote about a month ago , I decided to jump upon a short-term opportunity and set up a "hot topic" website for the 2012 NHL Trade Deadline. NHLFakeTrades.com was inspired by a column by Eric Duhatschek of the Globe & Mail, who looked at the frenzy with which hockey fans jump on even the sketchiest of information about potential hockey trades, and wondered if some cash could be made by simply and forthrightly writing about fictitious trade scenarios. This meshed nicely with an exercise I went through a few years ago to create a Random Trade Generator, so in the course of a few hours I went ahead and registered the domain, set up a WordPress site using ( as I do at Hockey Gear HQ ) the wonderful Genesis framework with the News theme , and freshened up the Trade Generator for 2012. So how did it do, in terms of traffic, revenue, and accuracy of the trade projections? Let's take a look...