Skip to main content

A few of my favorite things...

After listing this blog at #9 in the Legends of Hockey Blog Power Rankings, Joe asked me to post a similar article, citing my personal must-reads from around the web. I think it's a great idea for all to share those thoughts on occasion, so here goes. One thing to mention straight off is that I enjoy all the sites listed on the blogroll here, and try to visit them weekly at least. Blogs that don't provide much value, or have obtrusive pop-up ads or other internet annoyances don't make it onto the blogroll in the first place. So let's take a look at my daily reads:

Kukla's Korner: The hub of my internet hockey solar system, Paul provides the quick & dirty news from around the web. I'm a longtime user over at Slashdot, the primeval techie website, and Kukla's Korner provides a similar service to the world of hockey - a survey of what's going on, whether in the blogosphere, or the mainstream media outlets.

Mirtle: James Mirtle's blog provides well-written insights from all over the hockeyverse, whether related to
journalism, personal profiles, or analysis covering a variety of teams. His "Top Blogs/Full list" links provide a great jumping-off point for anyone looking to find good reading material, although it looks like they haven't been updated for a couple months.

Off Wing Opinion: Don't let the Caps-specific focus scare you, Eric McErlain and the gang offer some of the best & brightest features out there, and are good at getting conversation going between blogs, which is when things really heat up.

American Hockey Fan: Damn I wish I could write funny. These folks do a great job of that, however, making you wish you could join up with them for a beer and a wall full of games on Center Ice. The recent addition of Jen, the American Hockey Fan trainee, has brought us the funniest line I've seen all season. This from
watching a game with Boston fan Ritch, while Jen is learning to love the Sabres:

"I have to admit, it was more than a little heartbreaking to
see the Bruins do such a sexy little dance for Ritch before blueballing him in
the second and third periods..."
Behind the Jersey: She's taking Econ 101 at Michigan (and I was an Econ major there), so she's already got two things working for her in my book. Besides that, however, Christy puts some serious effort into providing quality pieces covering the Red Wings, and the state of the league in general, particularly around the issue of fighting. I get the feeling that we're watching a professional career in the making over at BtJ.

Battle of Alberta: They're sarcastic, embittered, and gloriously provincial. One of the greatest things about being a fan of any sport is fostering a heated rivalry, and the folks at BoA really keep those fires burning.

Theory of Ice: Another blogger who makes me feel like a high-school English flunkie when I read her posts. ToI provides the leisurely paced mental exercises that you'd never see in a mainstream media outlet, and thus provides a perfect example of how blogging brings fresh perspectives to the world of hockey fandom.

Technorati Tags: hockey blogs

Popular posts from this blog

Cheer up, it's the holidays...

Why is it that various media outlets continue trying to put their own spin on the "what's wrong with the NHL" story? Our latest example comes from The Hockey News , in a piece by Jay Greenburg entitled, "Excitement Level On The Decline." Take the opening sentence: Attendance is down and yet still up from before the lockout, leaving it arguable whether buildings in New Jersey and Florida are half-full or half empty. It's no surprise that attendance is down from last season, particularly if you compare the first half of 2005-06 to the first half of this year. Coming out of the lockout, there were legions of fans starved to see the on-ice product, particularly in light of the massive rule changes. This year is more indicative of business as usual, so the fact that the league is above pre-lockout levels is a positive. Toss in the projection that overall revenues are increasing despite a 1% decrease in attendance, and I'd say that paying fans have come back

How I'm Trying To Make Money Sports Blogging

To kick off this series of articles general sports-blogging articles here at OTF Classic, I think it's best to start with a comment that Brad left here last week, after I shared my goals for 2012 , which include specific revenue targets: I considered diving into the world of internet marketing myself, but I felt that my friends would hate me for bugging them about stuff. I mean, it's pretty low-risk high-reward, so it's tempting. I wouldn't mind reading about tips on how to maximize impact of blogging in general to make it a legitimate income source. Trying to make money at sports blogging can be a very touchy subject - for the vast majority of us, this is an activity we pursue to both exercise our creativity and share our love of the game, whether it's hockey, football, badminton, whatever, with fellow fans. Mixing that personal conversation with a commercial message can turn people off, especially if it becomes too intrusive for the reader. It's not unrea

Celebrating a milestone month

I've been remiss in providing regular updates on my quest to turn this whole sports-blogging hobby into at least something of a significant side income, if not a career, but good news has a way of prompting action. That, and I've been heads-down busy working on a few different fronts to push things forward...