Skip to main content

Defending The Crease

Back in February we looked at which NHL teams were generating those precious rebound shots, dangerous offensive opportunities wherin a player fires a close-in shot within two seconds of a previous shot on goal. When controlling for factors like shot distance, type, on-ice strength (power play, penalty kill, even strength) and other factors, rebounds still remain significantly more likely to score than other shots. As the playoffs approach, and the pressure builds on those teams battling for postseason berths, these high-percentage scoring chances become critically important.

Since we've considered the offensive side of that situation, it's time to turn our attention to the defensive end of the ice. Which teams are standing strong in front of their goaltender, sweeping away loose pucks and denying position to crease-crashers like Detroit's Tomas Holmstrom, while others roll out the red carpet and leave their goaltender hanging? When looking at this statistic I prefer to keep it at the team level, because the prevention of rebounds is truly a team effort; it starts with a goaltender who can either control a shot and keep it within his pads, or play it with his stick. Watch Robert Luongo, for example, to see a goaltender whose pads appear to be made of flypaper; pucks simply don't pop away when he makes a save. After the keeper, the job falls to his defenders, who must battle opposing forwards (without drawing a penalty) for prime real estate around the crease, and/or swat pucks out of harm's way before a would-be scorer can get to them.

So let's get right to the numbers...



While there's not much surprise in seeing Calgary and San Jose atop this list, with only 77 rebound shots allowed to date, it is interesting to see Tampa Bay come in 3rd; some would say that fewer rebounds are available against the Lightning because the first shot usually goes in, but I wouldn't crack on their goaltending like that (OK, maybe I would, given their league-low .884 Save Percentage).

At the bottom end, we see some pretty lousy defensive squads; Florida, L.A., Pittsburgh and Edmonton (the bottom four by this measure) all rank in the bottom 7 teams in the league in terms of total shots on goal against, which of course will lead to more rebound opportunities against as well. Note, however, that the Boston Bruins, despite being 9th-worst in total shots against, are actually 8th-best in terms of rebounds; they may allow plenty of shots, but when push comes to shove, they don't give up many rebounds in front of Tim Thomas. I'm sure a certain 6'9" defender has something to do with that as well.

So keep an eye on these numbers as you look ahead to your team's critical matchups down the stretch; if your squad relies on banging the crease and is heading into a game in San Jose or Calgary, the goals may be especially hard to come by.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating a milestone month

I've been remiss in providing regular updates on my quest to turn this whole sports-blogging hobby into at least something of a significant side income, if not a career, but good news has a way of prompting action. That, and I've been heads-down busy working on a few different fronts to push things forward...

Social Media, Internet Marketing, and Real, Paying Customers - it really works!

Applying the basic tenets of internet marketing (SEO best practices and social media network building) have helped me grow the readership and engagement over at On The Forecheck tremendously in recent years, but lately I've been wondering if those same techniques could be applied to small- or medium-sized local businesses, to help them drive real, tangible business results. I'm talking about not just drawing idle hockey fans looking to a blog so they can muse over line combinations, but helping businesses connect with potential customers in ways that otherwise wouldn't occur. Recently, I was able to help make just such a thing happen, and it shows just how great the opportunities are for small, local businesses which may not have the resources or skills available to extend their brand effectively on the internet.

NHL Fake Trades, an idea worth pursuing further in 2013

As I wrote about a month ago , I decided to jump upon a short-term opportunity and set up a "hot topic" website for the 2012 NHL Trade Deadline. NHLFakeTrades.com was inspired by a column by Eric Duhatschek of the Globe & Mail, who looked at the frenzy with which hockey fans jump on even the sketchiest of information about potential hockey trades, and wondered if some cash could be made by simply and forthrightly writing about fictitious trade scenarios. This meshed nicely with an exercise I went through a few years ago to create a Random Trade Generator, so in the course of a few hours I went ahead and registered the domain, set up a WordPress site using ( as I do at Hockey Gear HQ ) the wonderful Genesis framework with the News theme , and freshened up the Trade Generator for 2012. So how did it do, in terms of traffic, revenue, and accuracy of the trade projections? Let's take a look...