Skip to main content

Updated Penalty Draws, and Some Notes

If you're wondering who's drawing the most penalties in the NHL, I've performed the weekly update over at the publicly available Google spreadsheet. Currently Sidney Crosby leads the way with 12, and then we have a five-way tie between Alexander Ovechkin, Joe Thornton, Scott Gomez, Mike Cammelleri, and Anze Kopitar, who have each drawn 11 penalties this season.

I've added a few columns to the spreadsheet, including Games Played, Average Time on Ice, and Position, for those of you who were wondering about such things. NOTE - There's currently a formatting issue with any player averaging over 24 minutes per game, and I'm hoping to fix that by next week. Dion Phaneuf, for example, shows as having an average ice time of 3:31, rather than 27:31.

WEEKEND NOTES
I missed Saturday night's thriller between the Predators and Panthers, as I took my wife to the Grand Ole Opry, something she'd wanted to do since we moved to Nashville two years ago. I admit, being raised in the suburbs of Detroit I didn't know 90% of the performers there, but we had a good time, and there were a few hockey connections in the evening. Longtime Predators season-ticket holder Vince Gill was part of the festivities, and one of the presenters was Little Jimmy Dickens, a member of the Opry for almost 60 years;
Little Jimmy Dickens
Little Jimmy Dickens, the Chris Chelios of Country Music

It was interesting to see that Barry Trotz didn't cater to dramatic setup by starting Chris Mason against old mentor Tomas Vokoun, but instead went with Dan Ellis who was coming off a shutout Thursday night against Atlanta. Between that and the recent Marek Zidlicky benching, it's apparent that Trotz is establishing a meritocracy in the early going. Perform, and you'll get ice time. Screw up, and sit.

While the Central Division is improving, the Red Wings should cruise handily to another title. Jiri Hudler's top-shelf goal over Roberto Luongo's shoulder last night shows that scoring depth is still strong in Detroit, and that opponents have to worry about much more than the Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom combination.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating a milestone month

I've been remiss in providing regular updates on my quest to turn this whole sports-blogging hobby into at least something of a significant side income, if not a career, but good news has a way of prompting action. That, and I've been heads-down busy working on a few different fronts to push things forward...

Social Media, Internet Marketing, and Real, Paying Customers - it really works!

Applying the basic tenets of internet marketing (SEO best practices and social media network building) have helped me grow the readership and engagement over at On The Forecheck tremendously in recent years, but lately I've been wondering if those same techniques could be applied to small- or medium-sized local businesses, to help them drive real, tangible business results. I'm talking about not just drawing idle hockey fans looking to a blog so they can muse over line combinations, but helping businesses connect with potential customers in ways that otherwise wouldn't occur. Recently, I was able to help make just such a thing happen, and it shows just how great the opportunities are for small, local businesses which may not have the resources or skills available to extend their brand effectively on the internet.

NHL Fake Trades, an idea worth pursuing further in 2013

As I wrote about a month ago , I decided to jump upon a short-term opportunity and set up a "hot topic" website for the 2012 NHL Trade Deadline. NHLFakeTrades.com was inspired by a column by Eric Duhatschek of the Globe & Mail, who looked at the frenzy with which hockey fans jump on even the sketchiest of information about potential hockey trades, and wondered if some cash could be made by simply and forthrightly writing about fictitious trade scenarios. This meshed nicely with an exercise I went through a few years ago to create a Random Trade Generator, so in the course of a few hours I went ahead and registered the domain, set up a WordPress site using ( as I do at Hockey Gear HQ ) the wonderful Genesis framework with the News theme , and freshened up the Trade Generator for 2012. So how did it do, in terms of traffic, revenue, and accuracy of the trade projections? Let's take a look...