Skip to main content

What Would Mongo Do?

In yet another story to add to the "boy it's good the NHL doesn't have these kinds of issues" pile, we have the curious case of Pacman Jones, professional ruffian who receives his paychecks from the NFL's Tennessee Titans, but has been suspended for the entire upcoming season for a series of brushes with the law. Obviously, Jones needed a guiding influence to help set him on the right path.

Mongo from Blazing Saddles"Mongo like making it rain!"

With his young career in jeopardy and his only hope of returning to the field in 2007 hanging on his good behavior and sound judgment, Jones decided to follow in the footsteps of Alex Karras, the Detroit Lions defensive lineman (and later actor) who, when suspended for the 1963 season, donned the tights and squared off against the likes of Dick The Bruiser.

Can you imagine what the reaction would have been like if Todd Bertuzzi had done such a thing during his suspension? It makes you wonder who else from the world of hockey would fare well in the realm of sports-entertainment...

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating a milestone month

I've been remiss in providing regular updates on my quest to turn this whole sports-blogging hobby into at least something of a significant side income, if not a career, but good news has a way of prompting action. That, and I've been heads-down busy working on a few different fronts to push things forward...

Social Media, Internet Marketing, and Real, Paying Customers - it really works!

Applying the basic tenets of internet marketing (SEO best practices and social media network building) have helped me grow the readership and engagement over at On The Forecheck tremendously in recent years, but lately I've been wondering if those same techniques could be applied to small- or medium-sized local businesses, to help them drive real, tangible business results. I'm talking about not just drawing idle hockey fans looking to a blog so they can muse over line combinations, but helping businesses connect with potential customers in ways that otherwise wouldn't occur. Recently, I was able to help make just such a thing happen, and it shows just how great the opportunities are for small, local businesses which may not have the resources or skills available to extend their brand effectively on the internet.

NHL Fake Trades, an idea worth pursuing further in 2013

As I wrote about a month ago , I decided to jump upon a short-term opportunity and set up a "hot topic" website for the 2012 NHL Trade Deadline. NHLFakeTrades.com was inspired by a column by Eric Duhatschek of the Globe & Mail, who looked at the frenzy with which hockey fans jump on even the sketchiest of information about potential hockey trades, and wondered if some cash could be made by simply and forthrightly writing about fictitious trade scenarios. This meshed nicely with an exercise I went through a few years ago to create a Random Trade Generator, so in the course of a few hours I went ahead and registered the domain, set up a WordPress site using ( as I do at Hockey Gear HQ ) the wonderful Genesis framework with the News theme , and freshened up the Trade Generator for 2012. So how did it do, in terms of traffic, revenue, and accuracy of the trade projections? Let's take a look...