Skip to main content

Plenty of reasons to love hockey

This morning I wanted to point you over to one of my favorite blog finds of the summer, Interchangeable Parts, which has run a series of articles on why they love hockey. It's a great bunch of pieces that highlight just how great the long grind of the regular season truly is, and it's worth taking a few minutes to go through.

One of the great issues I have with the MSM sports culture is the overriding attitude that the regular season doesn't matter, and only playoff championships hold any meaning. We hear that opinion nearly every day either on sports radio, in opinion columns, or even from the athletes themselves. When they say it, it's almost like a pass-phrase that they know they have to repeat in order to demonstrate their commitment to winning it all for the fans.

Anyways, head on over to IP and reflect for a moment on observations that touch on different aspects of the game we all share, such as:

5-on-3 Penalty Kills

Giveaways that make you go “Huh?”

November hockey

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating a milestone month

I've been remiss in providing regular updates on my quest to turn this whole sports-blogging hobby into at least something of a significant side income, if not a career, but good news has a way of prompting action. That, and I've been heads-down busy working on a few different fronts to push things forward...

Social Media, Internet Marketing, and Real, Paying Customers - it really works!

Applying the basic tenets of internet marketing (SEO best practices and social media network building) have helped me grow the readership and engagement over at On The Forecheck tremendously in recent years, but lately I've been wondering if those same techniques could be applied to small- or medium-sized local businesses, to help them drive real, tangible business results. I'm talking about not just drawing idle hockey fans looking to a blog so they can muse over line combinations, but helping businesses connect with potential customers in ways that otherwise wouldn't occur. Recently, I was able to help make just such a thing happen, and it shows just how great the opportunities are for small, local businesses which may not have the resources or skills available to extend their brand effectively on the internet.

NHL Fake Trades, an idea worth pursuing further in 2013

As I wrote about a month ago , I decided to jump upon a short-term opportunity and set up a "hot topic" website for the 2012 NHL Trade Deadline. NHLFakeTrades.com was inspired by a column by Eric Duhatschek of the Globe & Mail, who looked at the frenzy with which hockey fans jump on even the sketchiest of information about potential hockey trades, and wondered if some cash could be made by simply and forthrightly writing about fictitious trade scenarios. This meshed nicely with an exercise I went through a few years ago to create a Random Trade Generator, so in the course of a few hours I went ahead and registered the domain, set up a WordPress site using ( as I do at Hockey Gear HQ ) the wonderful Genesis framework with the News theme , and freshened up the Trade Generator for 2012. So how did it do, in terms of traffic, revenue, and accuracy of the trade projections? Let's take a look...