Skip to main content

The Saturday morning constitutional

This morning I thought I'd take a stroll through the blogroll and pass along some highlights:

JavaGeek over at Hockey Numbers has a team-by-team breakdown of on-ice pairings, detailing how much time each player is spending on the ice with his teammates, and a rating for positive or negative performance. Great stuff...

The Ice Block shows us a positive portrait of a retired NHL player in the popular Adam Graves. See, they're not all stick-swinging louts...

Speaking of Chris Simon, Hockey Dirt poses the question of whether a reported concussion sustained during the initial hit by Ryan Hollweg might provide a partial explanation for this week's incident.

Odd Man Rush makes a case for Colorado's Paul Stastny for the Calder Trophy as NHL rookie of the year. Most of the early noise has been for Pittsburgh's dynamic diaper-dandy duo of Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal, but Stastny's steady production has slowly but surely brought him to prominence.

Sidearm Delivery boasts a gallery of hockey jerseys horrors. Whose idea was it to put a cow (with steaming pile behind him) on a hockey uniform?

Steph at No Pun Intended shares some on-ice singing by various NHL players. I don't think we'll see any of them doing the pre-game anthem anytime soon...

Mike Chen looks for the positive NHL possibilities resulting from the Chris Simon controversy. Just as Oscar Wilde wrote, "there is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about."

Joe Pelletier over at Legends of Hockey brings us up to date on Joe Juneau, rocket scientist.

The pic over at Battle of New York is sad and desperate. How can the fans in Pittsburgh possibly blame Mario Lemieux if that franchise moves? If it wasn't for #66, the Pens would have probably left town a decade ago.

Go ahead and take a few clicks around the blogosphere, and enjoy the weekend...

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating a milestone month

I've been remiss in providing regular updates on my quest to turn this whole sports-blogging hobby into at least something of a significant side income, if not a career, but good news has a way of prompting action. That, and I've been heads-down busy working on a few different fronts to push things forward...

Social Media, Internet Marketing, and Real, Paying Customers - it really works!

Applying the basic tenets of internet marketing (SEO best practices and social media network building) have helped me grow the readership and engagement over at On The Forecheck tremendously in recent years, but lately I've been wondering if those same techniques could be applied to small- or medium-sized local businesses, to help them drive real, tangible business results. I'm talking about not just drawing idle hockey fans looking to a blog so they can muse over line combinations, but helping businesses connect with potential customers in ways that otherwise wouldn't occur. Recently, I was able to help make just such a thing happen, and it shows just how great the opportunities are for small, local businesses which may not have the resources or skills available to extend their brand effectively on the internet.

NHL Fake Trades, an idea worth pursuing further in 2013

As I wrote about a month ago , I decided to jump upon a short-term opportunity and set up a "hot topic" website for the 2012 NHL Trade Deadline. NHLFakeTrades.com was inspired by a column by Eric Duhatschek of the Globe & Mail, who looked at the frenzy with which hockey fans jump on even the sketchiest of information about potential hockey trades, and wondered if some cash could be made by simply and forthrightly writing about fictitious trade scenarios. This meshed nicely with an exercise I went through a few years ago to create a Random Trade Generator, so in the course of a few hours I went ahead and registered the domain, set up a WordPress site using ( as I do at Hockey Gear HQ ) the wonderful Genesis framework with the News theme , and freshened up the Trade Generator for 2012. So how did it do, in terms of traffic, revenue, and accuracy of the trade projections? Let's take a look...