Skip to main content

Crank up your calculators

There's a nice update to the Shot Quality analysis by Ken Krzywicki over at Hockey Analytics that's been posted recently, and update based on the 2005-6 NHL Regular Season data that I've been digging into here. Besides the previous work which looked at shot distance, shot type, rebound situation, and team strength, he's also added Shot After Turnover (based on Takeaways & Giveaways) as a factor in the analysis. It's well worth looking into, and since I was just going to start a similar line of analysis over here, I forwarded some questions over to Ken, which I'll include here:

1) Shouldn't empty-net goals be excluded from the model? The whole notion of shot quality presumes a goaltender on the other end attempting to make a save. For 2005-6 (based on PBP files) I show 7,428 goals, with 178 empty netters. That's around 2.5% enough, to tweak the margins a bit.

2) Should penalty shots be split out as a descriminating factor? Certainly the scenario is somewhat different than the rest of in-game action, and I show 35 penalty shot goals on 85 shots, reflecting a shot quality that is higher than mere distance and shot type would predict.

3) What to do about Missed Shots? While they shouldn't factor into goaltending evaluations, I would think they should certainly count against an offense. There are lots of defensemen with big slapshots that go booming off the endboards, and I would think those should be assigned a zero or near-zero Shot Quality. If you have two players with equal numbers, but one took twice as many Missed Shots as the other, I would think that should reflect in their Shot Quality. You could also give credit to a team defense for higher levels of Missed Shots (not giving opposing shooters enough time & space to shoot well).

4) When looking at Shot After Turnover, should a time constraint be used to ensure that the shot is somewhat related to the turnover? Realistically, after 5 or 10 seconds, the short-term effect of the turnover has pretty much passed as the rest of the players react. I would also add Hits into that filter (i.e. a Takeaway, Hit, or opponent's Giveaway followed by a shot within 10 seconds). For instance, right in the first game of the 2005-6 Regular Season, plays 2 & 3 show a hit by Patrice Bergeron of Boston, followed by a Hal Gill wrist shot 9 seconds later. You could argue that the Hit led to the shot just as surely as a Takeaway would.

Overall, this is a nice update to a very useful piece of analysis by the gang at Hockey Analytics. I've got a slightly different spin on the anlaysis which I hope to post here next week.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating a milestone month

I've been remiss in providing regular updates on my quest to turn this whole sports-blogging hobby into at least something of a significant side income, if not a career, but good news has a way of prompting action. That, and I've been heads-down busy working on a few different fronts to push things forward...

Social Media, Internet Marketing, and Real, Paying Customers - it really works!

Applying the basic tenets of internet marketing (SEO best practices and social media network building) have helped me grow the readership and engagement over at On The Forecheck tremendously in recent years, but lately I've been wondering if those same techniques could be applied to small- or medium-sized local businesses, to help them drive real, tangible business results. I'm talking about not just drawing idle hockey fans looking to a blog so they can muse over line combinations, but helping businesses connect with potential customers in ways that otherwise wouldn't occur. Recently, I was able to help make just such a thing happen, and it shows just how great the opportunities are for small, local businesses which may not have the resources or skills available to extend their brand effectively on the internet.

NHL Fake Trades, an idea worth pursuing further in 2013

As I wrote about a month ago , I decided to jump upon a short-term opportunity and set up a "hot topic" website for the 2012 NHL Trade Deadline. NHLFakeTrades.com was inspired by a column by Eric Duhatschek of the Globe & Mail, who looked at the frenzy with which hockey fans jump on even the sketchiest of information about potential hockey trades, and wondered if some cash could be made by simply and forthrightly writing about fictitious trade scenarios. This meshed nicely with an exercise I went through a few years ago to create a Random Trade Generator, so in the course of a few hours I went ahead and registered the domain, set up a WordPress site using ( as I do at Hockey Gear HQ ) the wonderful Genesis framework with the News theme , and freshened up the Trade Generator for 2012. So how did it do, in terms of traffic, revenue, and accuracy of the trade projections? Let's take a look...