Skip to main content

"C" ain't for Crosby, that's good enough for me...

They say that sometimes the best trades are the ones that don't get made, and to stretch that a bit, I'd say the Pittsburgh Penguins just named the best possible captain for the upcoming season.

The Penguins should be better than last year certainly, but they are still not playoff-caliber, and naming Sidney Crosby as captain right now, as so many fans desire, would needlessly add to the pressure surrounding him heading into the new season. Countless rookie sensations go through a sophomore slump, so let Sid the Kid continue his on-ice development without having the added distraction of locker room leadership and taking the brunt of the media relations.

Remember, Crosby just turned 19: Steve Yzerman was 21 when he was named captain of the Red Wings, while Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky were 22 when they donned the "C" in Pittsburgh and Edmonton respectively. There will be plenty of time in the years ahead for Sid to create his legacy as captain of the Penguins. But for now, his main focus needs to be on taking the next step forward in his career. Repeating his 102-point performance against opponents that are now familiar with his talents will be achievement enough for the time being. 

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating a milestone month

I've been remiss in providing regular updates on my quest to turn this whole sports-blogging hobby into at least something of a significant side income, if not a career, but good news has a way of prompting action. That, and I've been heads-down busy working on a few different fronts to push things forward...

Social Media, Internet Marketing, and Real, Paying Customers - it really works!

Applying the basic tenets of internet marketing (SEO best practices and social media network building) have helped me grow the readership and engagement over at On The Forecheck tremendously in recent years, but lately I've been wondering if those same techniques could be applied to small- or medium-sized local businesses, to help them drive real, tangible business results. I'm talking about not just drawing idle hockey fans looking to a blog so they can muse over line combinations, but helping businesses connect with potential customers in ways that otherwise wouldn't occur. Recently, I was able to help make just such a thing happen, and it shows just how great the opportunities are for small, local businesses which may not have the resources or skills available to extend their brand effectively on the internet.

NHL Fake Trades, an idea worth pursuing further in 2013

As I wrote about a month ago , I decided to jump upon a short-term opportunity and set up a "hot topic" website for the 2012 NHL Trade Deadline. NHLFakeTrades.com was inspired by a column by Eric Duhatschek of the Globe & Mail, who looked at the frenzy with which hockey fans jump on even the sketchiest of information about potential hockey trades, and wondered if some cash could be made by simply and forthrightly writing about fictitious trade scenarios. This meshed nicely with an exercise I went through a few years ago to create a Random Trade Generator, so in the course of a few hours I went ahead and registered the domain, set up a WordPress site using ( as I do at Hockey Gear HQ ) the wonderful Genesis framework with the News theme , and freshened up the Trade Generator for 2012. So how did it do, in terms of traffic, revenue, and accuracy of the trade projections? Let's take a look...