Skip to main content

Back in Action

Sorry for the lack of updates the last few weeks, but rather than ponder over every last detail of the exhibition season, I've been busy getting a new job and relocating, so now this journal comes to you from...

(wait for it)


Predators Country (that's Nashville, y'all)!

Yup, after nearly three decades in Hockeytown, and seven years in a non-NHL city, I now have ready access to catching NHL action live once again. Pretty cheap access, too, as Predators tickets are very reasonable in price and they have plenty of promotional deals to help bring in new hockey fans.

A nice bonus is that the Preds should boast a pretty good team this fall. Barry Trotz has got the system in place and enough speed on the roster, and Paul Kariya should not just add his own offense but help younger teammates develop as well.

Anyways, things are getting settled (still have to sell a house, buy a new one, and move the wife and kids, nothing big, right?) and the articles will once again start to flow. Time to polish the crystal ball and take a look at the division races, seen here daily as we head up to the Opening Night festivities on October 5th.

Stay Tuned!

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrating a milestone month

I've been remiss in providing regular updates on my quest to turn this whole sports-blogging hobby into at least something of a significant side income, if not a career, but good news has a way of prompting action. That, and I've been heads-down busy working on a few different fronts to push things forward...

Social Media, Internet Marketing, and Real, Paying Customers - it really works!

Applying the basic tenets of internet marketing (SEO best practices and social media network building) have helped me grow the readership and engagement over at On The Forecheck tremendously in recent years, but lately I've been wondering if those same techniques could be applied to small- or medium-sized local businesses, to help them drive real, tangible business results. I'm talking about not just drawing idle hockey fans looking to a blog so they can muse over line combinations, but helping businesses connect with potential customers in ways that otherwise wouldn't occur. Recently, I was able to help make just such a thing happen, and it shows just how great the opportunities are for small, local businesses which may not have the resources or skills available to extend their brand effectively on the internet.

NHL Fake Trades, an idea worth pursuing further in 2013

As I wrote about a month ago , I decided to jump upon a short-term opportunity and set up a "hot topic" website for the 2012 NHL Trade Deadline. NHLFakeTrades.com was inspired by a column by Eric Duhatschek of the Globe & Mail, who looked at the frenzy with which hockey fans jump on even the sketchiest of information about potential hockey trades, and wondered if some cash could be made by simply and forthrightly writing about fictitious trade scenarios. This meshed nicely with an exercise I went through a few years ago to create a Random Trade Generator, so in the course of a few hours I went ahead and registered the domain, set up a WordPress site using ( as I do at Hockey Gear HQ ) the wonderful Genesis framework with the News theme , and freshened up the Trade Generator for 2012. So how did it do, in terms of traffic, revenue, and accuracy of the trade projections? Let's take a look...